intercellular wash fluid

Jon Monroe monroejd at
Wed Nov 17 13:46:47 EST 1999

Hi Nicholas,

Have a look at our paper on apoplastic alpha-glucosidases (Plant
Physiology 1999, 119:385-397,
especially figure 11.  We grew mustard seedlings under water for 3
days then gently extracted them with a high salt buffer.  The protein
came out and few cells were broken.  I didn't try it with Arabidopsis
seedlings but I bet it would work.

Good luck.

>Hi everybody,
>Could somebody provide me with a protocol for preparing intercellular
>wash fluid (IWF) from arabidopsis seedlings. My goal is to verify the
>presence of a protein in the apoplast.
>Thank you in advance.
>Nicolas Baumberger
>Institute of Plant Biology, University of Z¸rich
>Zollikerstr.107, CH- 8008 ZURICH, Switzerland
>Tel: 41-1-6348232
>Fax: 41-1-6348257
>Email: nbaumber at

 Jonathan D. Monroe           Associate Professor
 Department of Biology       office: 540-568-6649
 MSC 7801                       lab: 540-568-6045
 James Madison University       fax: 540-568-3333
 Harrisonburg, VA 22807   email: monroejd at