Post doctoral position

Yoder, John jiyoder at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 1 21:24:03 EST 1999

A post doctoral position is now open for studying molecular mechanisms that
regulate subterranean plant-plant interactions. We are interested in
understanding how plants perceive and respond to neighboring plants in the
rhizosphere (allelopathic responses). We have isolated several genes from
the roots of a parasitic angiosperm that rapidly respond to the presence of
neighboring plants. Some of these plant genes have characteristics that
suggest they are involved in the recognition and processing of signal
molecules released by host plant roots. The long term goals are to; 1)
engineer crop plants for resistance against the parasitic weeds Striga and
Orobanche, and, 2) enhance the subterranean fitness of crops in the presence
of weeds. For more information see
http://veghome.ucdavis.edu/yoder/yoderlab/

The successful post doctoral candidate will be an excellent molecular
biologist with experience in informatics, Arabidopsis transformation,
missense expression, mutation selection, and cytology. The post doctoral
fellow will be a member of the Rhizosphere Signal Research Program at the
University of California, Davis. Salary will be commensurate with
experience. Please send resume and list of references to John Yoder,
University of California-Davis at jiyoder at ucdavis.edu