The Arabidopsis Information Resource

Sue Rhee rhee at genome.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 20 19:50:48 EST 1999

Dear Arabidopsis researchers,

We are pleased to announce the inception of The Arabidopsis
Information Resource (TAIR), which assumed responsibility for
Arabidopsis information from AtDB on September 1, 1999. TAIR is a
collaborative effort between the Carnegie Institution of Washington
Department of Plant Biology at Stanford, California, and the National
Center for Genome Resources (NCGR) at Santa Fe, New Mexico.

TAIR will expand and improve on the AtDB to include comprehensive
sequence and map information, community information (people, labs,
companies, and databases), expression data, and experimental data from the
literature. We also plan to improve the interfaces with considerable
input from users. Anyone interested in more information regarding this
project, please see our proposal at:

	http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Arabidopsis/TAIR_proposal.html

Our goal is ensure that the users of AtDB will not be negatively
affected by the transition to TAIR. We will implement this plan in the
following ways:

1. Full-time curators at AtDB have transferred to TAIR and continue to
address questions and suggestions sent to atdb-curator and atdb-suggest;

2. The AtDB Web pages and database will continue to be hosted by the
Stanford Department of Genetics until a comparable site is set up and
tested at NCGR. The Web pages will be hosted at NCGR by Nov 1, 1999
and Data in Illustra will be available from NCGR by Jan 15, 2000;

3. The interfaces and structure of the web pages of TAIR will evolve
from those of AtDB in an incremental manner. The changes and new
tools will be tested by a focus user group, followed by announcement
on our home page and to the Arabidopsis newsgroup. Older versions will
remain for a few weeks after the public release of the new versions;

4. Starting November 1, 1999, TAIR will host the Web pages, map
displays, updates of sequence datasets, and sequence analysis programs
at NCGR including BLAST and FASTA. TAIR will link to Stanford for data
in AtDB's database. Stanford will keep up the previous Web pages for a
few weeks and then start redirecting to TAIR's home page. Please edit
your bookmarks at your earliest convenience.

5. Data in Illustra (AtDB's database) will be transferred to TAIR and
the new interfaces will be released by Jan 15, 2000. Illustra will be
available until all the data are in TAIR and have been released to the
public for some time.

We will notify the community of any updates and changes of TAIR using
this mailing list and on AtDB's home page.  If you have any
questions/concerns/comments regarding this transition, please contact
us at:

	atdb-curator at genome.stanford.edu

For more information please see the AtDB homepage at:

	http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Arabidopsis/

We would like to thank Mike Cherry, PI of the AtDB project, for
graciously agreeing to continue hosting the AtDB site beyond the end
of AtDB's funding until a comparable site is created and tested at
TAIR. We would also like to thank Mike and his staff at AtDB for their
contribution to the project to date.

Best Regards,

Sue Rhee, Carnegie  -Director
Eva Huala, Carnegie -Head Curator
Marga Garcia-Hernandez, Carnegie -Curator
Allan Dickerman -NCGR Coordinator
Don Kiphart, NCGR -IT Coordinator
Andrew Farmer, NCGR -Database administrator
Chris Town, TIGR -Exec. Committee
David Meinke, Oklahoma State U. -Exec. Committee
Bruno Sobral, NCGR -PI
Chris Somerville, Carnegie -PI

Sue Rhee	                 rhee at genome.stanford.edu
AtDB Curator			 http://genome-www.stanford.edu/
Dept. of Genetics                FAX: +1-650-723 7016
School of Medicine               Tel: +1-650-725-3125
Stanford University
Stanford
CA 94305-5120
U.S.A.