Post-doc in molecular phenotypic plasticity

Chinnappa ccchinna at ucalgary.ca
Mon Sep 27 18:17:20 EST 1999

PDF position for two years.
Starting January 2000
Qualifications: Ph.D. degree. Extensive knowledge of Molecular  Biology,
working knowledge of Plant  Physiology and Genetics.
Research Project:

STUDIES ON PHENOTYPIC PLASTICITY IN STELLARIA LONGIPES
Evolutionary  biologists  and ecologists use the term phenotypic
plasticity to describe the ability  of an organism to alter its
physiology,
morphology  or development  in response to changes  in  environment.
Understanding  the   mechanism
through which perception of critical  aspects of environment   is
translated into  changes  in growth and development   is vital in
assessing
the ecological significance  of plasticity.Plants usually respond to
environmental
signals  by releasing hormones which in turn can act as endogenous
signals that  initiate  many  physiological   responses down stream.
Hormones   can play a key role as mediators   in transduction  chains
and thus
can be involved in the regulation of
environment-induced plant   responses  such as timing and phenotypic
plasticity. Over the years, I have addressed some of the above
questions. After twenty years of my research on Stellaria longipes ,
(Caryophyllaceae) ,I  propose  this species as a good model system to
study genetic  differentiation, phenotypic plasticity   and
evolution. As elegantly stated by  Harry Smith (1990) Plant, Cell &
Env.  --
a crucial   point  about  phenotypic plasticity    is that mechanisms
must exist through  which
different physiological  and developmental   pathways   are selected
from a
common genotype. Using four ecotypes of S. longipes - alpine (dwarf,
nonplastic), montane & prairie (tall, plastic) & sand dune (tall,
nonplastic) populations in North America - I continue   my
research   interest   further.
The following research projects   are in progress.

A. Molecular  evolution of the Stellaria longipes complex.
B. Genetic regulation of phenotypic plasticity.
1)To continue on the ACC synthase  gene
expression studies and linking   it to population biology and evolution.

2) We  observed  that alpine and prairie ecotypes respond  differently
to various R/FR ratios hence understand the role of phytochromes on stem
elongation plasticity.

Apply  with CV to:
C.C.Chinnappa
Professor of Biology