Ler genome survey sequence from TIGR

Xiaoying Lin xlin at tigr.org
Mon Sep 27 18:45:56 EST 1999

As part of our Arabidopsis Genome project at TIGR, we have begun randomly
sequencing the Landsberg erecta accession of Arabidopsis thaliana.  These
random sequences can serve as the basis to identify potential
polymorphisms with the Columbia accession that is being sequenced by the
Arabidopsis Genome Initiative.

These Ler sequences are available on the TIGR web site
(http://www.tigr.org/tdb/at/at.html) and can be searched using BLAST as
well as downloaded via anonymous ftp.  Our target goal is to generate
4,000- 5,000 high quality assemblies.  This release contains 1, 945 high
quality assemblies.  Please note that we have not performed experimental
validation of these polymorphisms and any candidate polymorphism should be
validated by the user.

As the community has expressed such a strong interest in these sequences,
we have done an  initial release of Ler sequences that will be followed
with subsequent releases as we generate more Ler sequence.  The Ler web
site will be improved within the next few months where we will provide
alignments between Columbia and Ler sequence, electronic prediction of
primers to amplify the polymorphism, size prediction of the two alleles
amplified by the primers, any restriction enzyme that will generate a
polymorphism between the two alleles, and links to the corresponding
Columbia BAC that was sequenced as part of the AGI.  In addition, all
sequences will be released to Genbank upon completion of the sequencing.

I like to acknowledge my colleagues at TIGR, especially Dr. Robin Buell,
for their efforts to bring this project to this stage. For comments or
suggestions, please send them to at at tigr.org.

Regards,

Xiaoying Lin
The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR)
9712 Medical Center Drive,  Rockville, MD 20850
<xlin at tigr.org>  http://www.tigr.org/~xlin   (301) 838-3530