Postdoc - Evolution of Sex

Sarah Grant sgrant at email.unc.edu
Thu Apr 13 09:57:33 EST 2000

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Postdoc - Evolution of Sex</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
  <FONT FACE="Helvetica">NSF Funded Position Available for a
POSTDOCTORAL<B> </B>FELLOW to study the EVOLUTION OF SEX CHROMOSOMES
in higher plants. Our research team is investigating the evolution of
dimorphic sex chromosomes in plants by comparison of the sex
chromosomes in the dioecious species <I>Silene latifolia</I> (white
campion) with homologous chromosomes in related <I>Silene</I> species
that are hermaphroditic. The genus<I>Silene</I> is an excellent model
for studies of the evolution of sex because it includes species that
are true hermaphrodites, &nbsp;gynodioecious (hermaphroditic and
female individuals coexist) or dioecious (males and females coexist).
Because all <I>Silene</I> species have the same number of
&nbsp;chromosomes, the sex chromosomes must &nbsp;have evolved from
an autosome pair. We are using in situ hybridization (FISH) to
compare the structure of the sex chromosomes in dioecious
<I>Silene</I> to related chromosomes in hermaphroditic <I>Silene</I>
species. Candidates with experience in molecular biology and
cytogenetics are strongly encouraged to apply. Please contact Sarah
Grant at the address below for more information. <BR>
<BR>
Sarah Grant<BR>
email: sgrant at email.unc.edu<BR>
fax: (919) 962-1625<BR>
Department of Biology CB#3280<BR>
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill<BR>
Chapel Hill N.C. 27599<BR>
USA<BR>
</FONT><BR>
-Sarah Grant<BR>