Damping off problems..

justin goodrich justin.goodrich at ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 03:38:47 EST 2000

Hi All,

I'm sowing seedlings at high density on soil for herbicide (Basta)
spraying and selection of transformants.  We are consistently getting
problems that in a fair proportion of flats, some kind of damping off
fungus gets in, usually around or after the spraying, and this gradually
spreads out, plants go brown and keel over, and we can lose large no.s
of plants including transformants.  I have tried sterilising seed before
sowing, and this helps a little but certainly does not eliminate the
problem.  I am expreimenting with pre-soaking the soil in fungicides of
various sorts, so far without great impact for good or bad.  I imagine
the fungus problem might be a Pythium, but am far from sure.  Has anyone
else encountered this and have they found any could preventatives...

Thanks a lot

Justin Goodrich