BAC methylation

Forde, Brian b.g.forde at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 12:40:53 EST 2000

>  On 1 Aug 2000, Chunxin Wang wrote:
>
>  -Hi, all:
>  -
>  -Does anybody know if the BAC DNA is methylated or not? One of my labmates
>  -is trying to subclone one BAC into a binary vector. He cut the BAC with
>  -Cla I, but it does not give rise to the right predicted digestion pattern.
>  -He suspected that some sequences around Cla I sites has been methylated.
>  -Is it true?

	Yes, I once had the same problem. The fact is that ClaI (which
recognises 5'-ATCGAT-3') is sensitive to dam methylation (which occurs at the A
residue in 5'-GATC-3' )
So, if the nucleotide immediatedly before a particular ClaI site is G, or
immediately after it is C, and you are growing the plasmid in a dam+ strain of
E. coli, it won't cut at that site. Solution - use a dam- strain!

Prof. Brian G. Forde
Department of Biological Sciences
Lancaster University
Lancaster LA1 4YQ