Research Assistant/Postdoc Position Open

Keiko U. Torii ktorii at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 2 13:40:16 EST 2000

A position for Research Assistant or Postdoctoral Associate is available
immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Keiko Torii at the Botany Department,
University of Washington, Seattle.

The Torii Lab studies how higher plants coordinate cell proliferation
during organogenesis, using Arabidopsis thaliana as a model
system.  Specifically, we are taking an integrated approach using
genetics, biochemistry, and cell biology to understand how shape and size
of plant organs are determined both by extrinsic and intrinsic
signals.  Toward this end, we are currently investigating (1) cell-cell
signaling pathways mediated by a putative receptor serine/threonine kinase
ERECTA, which determines organ shape; and (2) roles for cell cycle
inhibitors in organ-size specification (see Plant Cell 8:735-746,
1996; Advance in Botanical Res. 32:226-268, 2000, and upcoming issue of
Current Opinion in Plant Biology).

The candidate must have a background in basic molecular biology and/or
biochemistry.  We seek a person with MS or BS degree with significant
research experience, who shares strong enthusiasm towards plant
developmental genetics.  However, pervious experience in a plant system is
not necessary.  This is a 1-year position with a possibility of extension,
and is suited for a person with ambition who wishes to take this
opportunity as a career step.  The position can be filled for a
postdoc.  Please send your CV and names and e-mail address of three
references to:

		Keiko Torii
		Botany, University of Washington
		Box 355325,
		Seattle, WA 98195-5325
		ktorii at u.washington.edu
		http://depts.washington.edu/botweb/facbio/torii.html

University of Washington is located at North-East Seattle, surrounded by
Lake Washington, Puget Sound, and Olympic & Cascade Mountains.  Known as
"the Emerald City", Seattle is one of the best cities to live in the US,
and is a recreation enthusiast's dream
(http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/tour/seamap.htm).  In the summer, water
sports are only 10 minutes away and winter sports, such as skiing and
snowboarding, are only 45 minutes away.

University of Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Keiko U. Torii, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Hitchcock Hall 544		Phone: (206)221-5701 (office)
Department of Botany		       (206)221-5756 (lab)
University of Washington	Fax:   (206)685-1728
Box. 355325			e-mail: ktorii at u.washington.edu
Seattle, WA 98195-5325

http://depts.washington.edu/botweb/facbio/torii.html