Arabidopsis Genome resource / ukcrop.net training.

Sean May [ NASC ] sean_may at thale.life.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 10 12:51:47 EST 2000

The UK Crop Plant Bioinformatics Network (UK CropNet) are pleased
to announce the date of our second training workshop.  This *FREE*
event will be held at the Institute of Grassland and Environmental
Research (IGER) in Aberystwyth, Wales on the afternoon of Friday 8th
September.

Established in 1996 as part of the BBSRC's Plant and Animal
Genome Analysis special initiative, UK Cropnet's focus is the
development, management, and distribution of information relating to
comparative mapping and genome research in crop plants.  A number of
plant databases and bioinformatics software tools have been developed
(all of which are freely available from our web-site: ukcrop.net).
We are comprised of six English, Welsh and Scottish plant bioinformatics/
genomics groups.

The Arabidopsis Genome Resource (AGR) is a co-founder member of this
cross-species collection of ACeDB databases ranging from Barley to
Brassicas. UK CropNet aims to address synteny between these species and
promotes the use of model organisms such as Arabidopsis to further
understanding in crop research.

The Forage Grass Genome database, FoggDB, is maintained at IGER Aberystwyth
so this event will be of particular interest to researchers in this area.
However, this training session will also address the other databases
and software
within UK CropNet and will be tutored by external as well as local
UK CropNet members.

During the workshop, a number of our software and database developers
will present a series of short (10-20 minute) presentations to demonstrate
how these resources can be utilised to aid research.  Following these
talks, we will provide a hands-on opportunity to use these resources,
with our developers available for questions and discussion at either
a group or individual level.

We would particularly welcome the chance to work with any 'real-world'
data that you wish to discuss and/or analyse.  However, we would ask
that you please notify us in advance as to the nature of any such data
you wish to work on. Please also feel free to contact us in advance if you
would like us to focus on any specific issues relating to genome databases,
mapping software etc.

This workshop is open to all, including post-grads and post-docs. Due to the
nature of this training event, we regret that places are limited and
spaces will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.

For more information about this workshop (and also for details of
future UK CropNet training events) please go to:

http://ukcrop.net/training/

To register for this training event, please contact Dr. Lin Huang at IGER:
email: lin.huang at bbsrc.ac.uk

For any other queries, please contact either Dr. Helen Ougham
(helen.ougham at bbsrc.ac.uk) or Dr. Sean May (sean_may at nasc.nott.ac.uk).

Sean_May at nasc.nott.ac.uk (D.Phil.)
Director, Nottingham Arabidopsis Stock Centre (NASC)
School of Biosciences, Plant Science Division,
University of Nottingham, Biological Sciences Building,
University Park, Nottingham. NG7 2RD. UK

FON:			+44 (0)115 9513237
FAX:			+44 (0)115 9513297
Catalogue:		seeds.arabidopsis.org.uk
Genomics:		ukcrop.net
Transcriptomics:	garnet.arabidopsis.org.uk
ICQ:			57288800