Postdoctoral Position at UC Berkeley

Bob Fischer fischer at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 24 18:29:59 EST 2000

A position for a Postdoctoral Associate is available in the laboratory
of Dr. Robert Fischer in the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology,
University of California, Berkeley.

We are studying imprinted polycomb genes that control reproduction in
the model system, Arabidopsis.  Specifically, we are analyzing how
polycomb genes suppress replication of the primary endosperm nucleus
until fertilization occurs, and how imprinting establishes a dynamic
equilibrium between male and female genomes in the endosperm that is
essential for reproduction.  This work is described in several recent
publications:

Kiyosue, T., et al. (1999) Control of fertilization-independent
endosperm development by the MEDEA polycomb gene in Arabidopsis.  Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96:4186-4191.

Ohad, N., et al (1999) Mutations in FIE, a WD Polycomb Group Gene, Allow
Endosperm Development Without Fertilization. Plant Cell 11:407-415.

Kinoshita, T., et al (1999) Imprinting of the MEDEA polycomb gene in the
Arabidopsis endosperm.  Plant Cell 11:1945-1952.

We seek a highly motivated person with Ph.D. degree who has demonstrated
his or her ability to carry out outstanding research in the fields of
genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry or cell biology.  Please send
your resume and the email addresses of three references to

Robert Fischer
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology
111 Koshland Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
Rfischer at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Telephone: 510-642-1314,     Fax: 510-642-9017

The University of California at Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity
Employer