Masters-PhD Scholarship in Japan

Satoshi Naito naito at abs.agr.hokudai.ac.jp
Tue Dec 12 01:12:49 EST 2000

Dear Friends,

Our lab, The Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hokkaido University,
Japan, is looking for a highly motivated student to join us at the
Masters Course level (2yrs, start Oct 2001).  The successful
candidate should also be willing to continue into the PhD course
(3yrs) in our lab.  Our faculty has a Special Postgraduate Program
in English enabling non-Japanese speaking students
to study here.

Examination, Admission and Tuition fees will be exempted and the
successful candidate will also be awarded a scholarship from
Japanese government for living expenses.  Last year's scholarship
amount was 185,000 yen/month (approx. US$1,600) and is expected to
be the same for next year's students as well.  Air ticket to and from
Japan is included (at beginning and end of study) and a small rental
assistance may also be provided.

As mentioned above, we are looking for a student to continue into
the PhD Course (3yrs).  Although entrance into the PhD course is
not guaranteed, if the student is successul in the Masters Course,
there is a very high possibility of continuation with a scholarship.

We are working with Arabidopsis, studying both Methionine
biosynthesis at the level of gene expression (Chiba et al., Science
286:1371-1374, 1999), and the mechanisms surrounding the regulation
of gene expression according to Methionine availability.

The student should have a good understanding of Molecular Biology
techniques and experience working with DNA/RNA.  The student should
also be extremely fluent in English.

A successful candidate will be chosen by the end of March 2001,
although the final decision will be in August 2001.

Interested candidates should send a CV and brief outline of research
interest as soon as possible.  For further details and contact
information, please see our home page:
http://arabi4.agr.hokudai.ac.jp/arabie/new/MastersStudent.html

Satoshi NAITO
Professor

Satoshi Naito
Division of Applied Bioscience
Graduate School of Agriculture, Hokkaido University
Sapporo 060-8589, JAPAN
Phone: +81-11-706-2800
FAX: +81-11-706-4932
e-mail: naito at abs.agr.hokudai.ac.jp