plant gametogenesis

Greg Buchold gbuchold at med.unc.edu
Mon Dec 18 11:56:25 EST 2000

Hello all,

I am not a regular subscriber to this list, but was recommended to post
my interests by Dr. Jeff Dangl.
I briefly looked at the recent Nature issue related to the Arabadopsis
genome project and began to wonder how related plant gametogenesis is to
mammalian systems.  The lab of Deborah A. O'Brien is principally focused
on the molecular mechanisms of mouse spermatogenesis, but I am trying to
gain a broader evolutionary perspective. I know that a number of
meiotically expressed genes are conserved between fly, mouse, and
arabadopsis, but I don't know much about the overall process of
gametogenesis in plants. I would be interested in discussing the
molecular events/genetics of male gametogenesis in plants with
researchers who focus in this area and receiving recommendations of
published reviews (either journal articles or books) by which I could
familiarize myself with this area.   One of the goals of male
reproductive biology is to create a substance to block
checkpoints/functions that occur only in the male germline without side
effects in the soma.  Certainly, having a sense of how generalizable the
targeted proteins are in other species/kingdoms of organisms might allow
the prediction of novel uses outside humans as well as to make some
prediction about the environmental impact of such substances entering
the ecosystem.

Thanks,
Greg Buchold

MD/PhD student (Curriculum in Genetics and Molecular Biology)
216 Taylor Hall CB#7090
lab (919)966-4436
FAX (919)966-1856