Endowed Chair of Plant Development at Indiana University

Roger Innes rinnes at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Feb 1 15:30:57 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

	We are pleased to announce the newly created Miller Chair of Plant
Development at Indiana University, Bloomington.  This position will be
available commencing in June 2001 and we are now seeking nominations.
Candidates should have an impressive record of research accomplishments
recognized at the international level and should currently hold an
associate or full professor appointment, or the equivalent.  The holder of
this Chair is to be conducting research that seeks to understand the
biochemical bases of plant growth and development.
	The Miller Chair offers an attractive salary and start-up package,
a generous annual endowment, and the opportunity to move into a
state-of-the-art research laboratory.  This laboratory will be one of five
plant molecular biology laboratories scheduled to occupy the third floor of
Myers Hall, a newly renovated building.   Occupancy of Myers Hall
represents part of an ongoing expansion of the IU Biology Department, which
will include at least one additional appointment in plant molecular
biology.
	The IU Biology Department is widely recognized for its strengths in
the areas of developmental biology and evolution.  We currently have 40
tenure-track faculty with active research labs, 12 of who focus on various
aspects of plant biology.  We take pride in a high level of collegiality
and interaction within our department.
	Bloomington is located in the picturesque rolling hill country of
southern Indiana, with several nearby state parks and a federal wilderness
area.  Our area is particularly noted for its hardwood forests and fall
colors.  The city of Bloomington (pop. ~75,000) offers numerous cultural
opportunities, including a world-renowned opera program run by the IU
School of Music.  Most of our faculty lives within easy walking or cycling
distance of campus, although rural living can be found within a short
commute.  The quality of life is high, and the cost of living is low.  For
additional information about the Department of Biology, Indiana University,
and Bloomington, visit our website at http://www.bio.indiana.edu.
	Please direct nominations and inquiries to Roger Innes
(rinnes at bio.indiana.edu; 1-812-855-2219), or Roger Hangarter
(rhangart at bio.indiana.edu; 1-812-855-5456), or send a letter of application
that includes a curriculum vitae and a description of current funding to:
Dr. Roger Innes, Department of Biology, Indiana University, 1001 E 3rd St,
Bloomington, IN 47405-3700. We particularly encourage applications from
women and underrepresented minorities.  IU Biology has a strong track
record of accommodating two career couples.  Screening of applicants will
begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.

Roger Innes			ph: 812-855-2219
Department of Biology		fax:812-855-6705
Jordan Hall 142			email: rinnes at bio.indiana.edu
1001 East 3rd Street