Problem with Arabidopsis seeds sterilization

Suk-whan Hong sukwhan at U.Arizona.EDU
Wed Feb 2 12:07:12 EST 2000

Hi Byung-Hoon Kim. This is Suk-Whan again. If what is on your plates for
selection of transformants is white ( or milky) things, that might be a
agrobacteria. I think that some agrobacteria reach into seed somehow
after vacuum infiltration and survive to the next generation. So, if my
thought is right, those agrobacteria might not be killed by
sterilization of seed coat. Because they are inside seed coat, they
could be removed after planting your seeds on the plates. What I used to
kill them is vancomycin (500mg/L). My seeds are placed on the growth
media containing selection antibiotic and vancomycin (500mg/L). I'm very
sorry to confuse you.

Suk-Whan Hong.