Summary Re: Second selectable marker for transformation

Fri Feb 4 07:20:09 EST 2000

   Dear colleagues,

   Thank you very much to all of you who have replied
to the message I posted a couple of weeks ago about
second selectable markers alternative to kanamycin.
Below there is a summary of the information I have
compiled, which I think it may be as helpful to
some of you as it has been to me:

   - Hygromycin: pBIB-HYG (Becker, D. 1990. Nucl. Acids
Res. 18 (1), 203), and CAMBIA vectors (

   - Gentamycin: pPZP221 and pPZP222 vectors (Hajdukiewicz
et al. 1994. Plant Mol. Biol. 25, 989-994).

   - BASTA: bar gene.

   Thanks again.

   Jose L. Carrasco

Jose L. Carrasco
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas
Universidad Politecnica de Valencia
Avenida Los Naranjos, s/n
46022 Valencia (Spain)
Email: jlcarrasco at