Protoplasts & chloroplasts.

Spencer, S. sps101 at york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 16:38:00 EST 2000

Hiya,

I've been looking into possible controls for use in a transient
expression experiment I'm planning to do in protoplasts.  It was
suggested to me to use the small RUBISCO subunit as this would be
targeted to the chloroplasts (the protein would be tagged).  However, I
have read that the chloroplasts stops synthesising their own proteins in
the protoplast.  My question is, does anyone know if the chloroplasts is
still able to accept proteins when the cell is in the protoplast form?
The small RUBISCO subunit is usually encoded by the nucleus, and the
protein is then targetted to the chloroplasts.  Is this still the case
in protoplasts?  Or will the protein remain in the cytoplasm?  Whether
this is the case, does anyone know any references saying a positive yes
or no?  I have been unable to find any.

Thanks a lot.

Steven Spencer