specific activity of GUS

steve jobling Steve.Jobling at unilever.com
Tue Jul 4 07:39:48 EST 2000

Does anyone know how the expression of GUS (pmol/min/mg protein) relates to
expression as a percentage of total extractable protein? ie what is the
specific activity of GUS and does this vary with substrates eg flourometric MUG
or colourmetric PNPG? I have seen references to a 35S promoter GUS giving 0.1%
total soluble protein in leaf but there was no hard data - I assume this meant
approx 10,000 pmol/min/mg. Also if anyone has info on maximum expression levels
I would be interested.
I assume this is of interest to many people so I will collate all replies and
post back to the newsgroup.

Steve Jobling
Plant Science
Unilever Research Colworth