Teaching biotechnology to non-science majors

Paul Joyce joycep at vax2.concordia.ca
Tue Jul 11 14:46:34 EST 2000

To anyone who can help:

I am teaching a course in biotechnology for non-science majors.  Many of
the students who register for this course have a limited (or
non-existent) science background.  We specifically chose to require no
science prerequisites to encourage non-science majors to take the
course.   However, I need to provide these students with at least some
rudiments of cell biology, genetics and biochemistry before I launch
into a discussion of modern biotechnology techniques and practices for
them to really comprehend what I'm talking about.  Can anyone suggest a
good text (or texts) that I could start with to give these students the
necessary background?  I don't want them to end up with a freshman cell
biology text, biochemistry text and genetics text as this may be the
only science course that some of these students take.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Joyce