Questions about Seed Vernalization

nile kurashige nk208 at barnard.edu
Fri Jul 14 12:54:36 EST 2000

Hello, I am Nile Kurashige, a Barnard College senior.  I am studying
vernalization of Arabidopsis with Prof. Hilary Callahan.  Our project has
been to vernalize R:FR plastic artificial selection lines at the rosette
stage.  As our follow up, we wanted to vernalize seeds to see if we get
the same results.  We wanted to know what is the "correct" way of seed
vernalization (25+ days)?

In the papers we read, some researchers vernalized in the dark and some
did it in dim light (no wave length given).  We tried both and almost all
germinated.  The dark ones were etiolated and the light ones were green
except for a few.  Prof. Callahan thinks that it may be a maternal effect
since we grew the mothers under florescent light and so the light
requirement for germination is lost because the mothers did not have the
right light to start with.

If so, can we do anything so they don't germinate or is it okay to study
germinated seedling that had been vernaliazed from before germination.
When we put the etiolated plants under light, they green up appering
otherwise normal.

Thank you for your time,
Nile Kurashige

nile kurashige  :)