Looking for a protocol

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Mon Jul 24 21:03:18 EST 2000

A method using benzyl chloride was publishes a couple of years back in NAR.
I do not have the ref. handy, but a search w/ those two terms should be
sufficient. It works quite nicely for small amounts of tissue and yields
digestible and amplifiable DNA. However, it is a nasty compound and has to
be fresh to obtain good quality DNA. I suspect that old (>3mo) benzyl
chloride modifies certain bases. It is itself oxidized upon storage (hence
the need to store under inert gas). Unfortunately, it is hard to obtain the
compound in small amounts in the US. Ideally, buying about 25 to 50mL at a
time would be really great.

At 04:47 AM 7/24/00 +0100, Nobody wrote:
>Hello, everyone:
>I am looking for a protocol that can be used to
>prepare DNA for Southern blot from a little amount of
>Arabidopsis leaves( about 30-50mg of plant tissue). It
>will be deeply appreciated if anybody can give me some
>information about that.
>Best regards,
>Jiuchun Zhang
>Dept. of CBMG
>Univ. of Maryland
>College Park, MD 20742
>Tel: 301-4058965
>=46ax: 301-3147930

>Get Yahoo! Mail =F1 Free email you can access from anywhere!
>http://mail.yahoo.com/
>

>---

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Dept. of Molecular Biology