Biotechnology for non-scientists

Paul Joyce joycep at vax2.concordia.ca
Thu Jul 27 16:22:53 EST 2000

Thanks to all who replied to my question about texts for teaching
biotechnology to non-science majors.  Here, in no particular order, are
some of the suggestions I received.  Paul Joyce

1) DNA technology: The Awesome Skill by I. E. Alcamo,
2nd edition , Wm. C. Brown Publishers, DuBuque, IA
Academic Press, ISBN: 0-12-048920-1, c2001

-3 recommendations

2) Biotechnology Unzipped by Eric Grace

-2 recommendations

3) .Discover Biology, first author Cain, published by Sinaur and Assoc

4) "The Cartoon Guide to Genetics" (Larry Gonick and Mark
Wheelis)

5) Karl Drlica. 1997. Understanding DNA and Gene Cloning: A Guide for
the Curious.

6) "Recombinant DNA" by Watson, Gilman, Witkowski, and
Zoller; Scientific American Books

7) BIOLOGY: Concepts and Connections, 3/e
                     Neil A. Campbell, University of California,
Riverside
                     Lawrence G. Mitchell, University of Montana
                     Jane B. Reece
                     ISBN 0-8053-6585-0

8) Plant, Genes and Agriculture by Chrispeels and Sadava

http://www.life.umd.edu/classroom/BSCI124/main.html.

http://plantbio.berkeley.edu/~outreach