Request help for a new research

Javier javierr at eden.rutgers.edu
Mon Jun 19 10:30:41 EST 2000

Dear Dr. Rhee;
My name is Javier Ramirez, PhD student at Rutgers Env. Science Dpt.
I want to include the following test seed germination and plant growth
of Arabidopsis using compost and lechate.
the compost produced as amendment of the soil and the lechate of the
compost as hydrophonic medium.
In order to do that I have some questions for you:
1. to test arabidopsis on compost
-Do I have to sterilize? the compost
-What kind of soil I may use as a control
- What materials I may require
-What would be the procedure to do this test, in terms of temperature
and nutrients

2. to test arabidopsis on lechate
-Do I have to sterilize the lechate
-What kind of solution I may use as control
- What would be the procedure on this test
- What materials I may require
-What would be the procedure to do this test, in terms of temperature
and nutrients

I would like to understand the procedure first with the control and then

I would follow with the samples.

I understand that this is my job but you probably know more about that
and you might refer to me to other source where I can get the answers.

Thank you very much for your cooperation
Javier