Six Postdoc Positions in Molecular Plant Nematology

Thomas J Baum tbaum at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 22 14:11:59 EST 2000

<x-flowed>Postdoctoral Positions studying NEMATODE PARASITISM GENES

The research labs of Dr. Thomas Baum at Iowa State University, Dr. Eric
Davis at North Carolina State University, and Dr. Dick Hussey at the
University of Georgia collaborate on a research project on the molecular
basis of nematode parasitism of plants.  Specifically we are studying
parasitism genes expressed in the esophageal gland cells of the soybean
cyst nematode, Heterodera glycines.  We have adopted a functional genomics
approach to study nematode parasitism genes, including the development of
technologies for gland cell-specific cDNA library construction, cDNA
libraries of nematode parasitic stages, genomic libraries, mRNA in situ
hybridization within plant-parasitic nematodes, RNA interference,
combinatorial peptide library screening, functional analyses in transformed
plant tissues, and DNA microchips for nematode gene expression
analyses.  We currently are undertaking a large scale EST project of gland
cell-specific cDNA libraries for identification of parasitism genes.

Collectively, we have 6 postdoctoral positions (two in each lab) available
for creative and energetic individuals to conduct novel research on
nematode parasitism genes.  Candidates should have a Ph.D. with a strong
background in molecular biology, genetics, plant-microbe interactions,
computational biology, or other techniques related to the project described
above.  Previous experience with plant-parasitic nematodes is not
necessary.  Salaries are commensurate with experience.

Interested candidates should electronically submit a one-page statement of
their interest and aptitude for the position, a 2-page CV, and contact
information for three professional references.  Information from applicants
should be pasted into an e-mail (not attached) and sent to Drs. Baum
(tbaum at iastate.edu), Davis (eric_davis at ncsu.edu), and/or Hussey
(hussey at arches.uga.edu).

Thomas J. Baum
Assistant Professor