GUS reaction chemistry

Tobias Baskin BaskinT at missouri.edu
Wed Mar 8 16:48:52 EST 2000

<x-flowed>Greetings,
	  I am looking for information about the chemical reactions
leading to our familiar blue precipitate in the presence of the GUS
enzyme. In particular, I'd like to learn more about what the iron
salts are doing. Although I have wondered about this for some time,
it became more pressing the other day when we observed a TOTALLY
different staining pattern when the iron salts were replaced by EDTA
in the buffer. If someone could explain this or point me to a good
reference on this topic, I'd be very grateful. (I did look through
the recent "GUS protocols" book but it presented lots of protocols
but I couldn't find anything helpful about the chemistry, at least
not from the table of contents.)
	Thanks in advance,
			Tobias Baskin
        _      ____   ^      __   ____   Tobias I. Baskin
       /  \   /      / \    /   \ \            University of Missouri
      /   |  /      /   \   \      \              Biological Sciences
     /___/  /__    /___  \   \      \__            109 Tucker Hall
    /      /      /       \   \      \            Columbia, MO 65211-7400 USA
   /      /      /         \   \      \          voice: 573-882-0173
/      /____  /           \   \__/   \____ fax: 573-882-0123
---

</x-flowed>