Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis for fungus gnat control

Andrew Plume A.Plume at botany.uq.edu.au
Tue Mar 14 00:35:09 EST 2000

Hi everyone,

We have just switched the potting mix we use to grow Arabidopsis to one
rich in organic matter and have since developed a serious fungus gnat
outbreak in our growth room. We have heard about Gnatrol, a commercially
available preparation of bacteria (Bacillus thuringiensis var.
israelensis) which is used as a soil drench to control the larvae. Has
anyone out there ever tried to grow cultures of this strain for
themselves to this purpose? Does anyone out there (particularly in
Australia, but anywhere will do) have a culture of this strain they are
willing to share, and advice on appropraite growth conditions?

Cheers,

Andrew Plume
Plant Genetic Engineering Laboratory
The uni of Queensland