unfinished Arabidopsis seq data?

Mike Cherry cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 29 12:10:29 EST 2000

Arabidopsis sequencing groups submit unfinished data to the High
Throughput Genomics (HTG) section of GenBank.  If you update GenBank
at your site you have these sequences.  If you don't update GenBank
you should be spending your time on that problem.  From the beginning
the AtDB BLAST and FASTA servers contained these unfinished sequences.
These resources are now available from the new Arabidopsis community
database at TAIR (www.arabidopsis.org).

For Arabidopsis sequencing the "time-gap" between first submission of
phase I sequence and release of annotated sequence has typically been
on the order of 1-2 months.

Depending on how agressive you want to be working with these HTG
sequences can be good or bad.  Since they are preliminary they do
change and require some analyses to be redone.  It all depends on your
need and ability to deal with change.

Mike

P.S. The CSHL-WASHU consortium puts unfinished sequences on their ftp
site weekly (I believe).  These sequences are also available from the
TAIR BLAST.  You can download them from ftp.cshl.org:/pub/sequences/

J. Michael Cherry, Ph.D.         Internet: cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Department of Genetics           Stanford University School of Medicine
Medical Center, Room M341        Stanford, California  94305-5120
Voice:    650-723-7541           FAX: 650-723-7016