post-doc opening

Sue Gibson sig at bioc.rice.edu
Wed May 3 11:41:12 EST 2000

POST-DOCTORAL POSITION IN PLANT METABOLIC ENGINEERING
Rice University, Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology

	A position is currently available in my lab for a post-doctoral
research associate to participate in a project that was just funded by NSF
for three years.  This project is a collaboration between my lab and labs
in the Bioengineering Dept. at Rice (P.I. = Dr. Ka Yiu San) and the Dept.
of Chemical Engineering at Iowa State Univ. (P.I. = Dr. Jackie Shanks).
The overall goal of the project is to test the effects of over-expressing
anthranilate synthase and tryptophan decarboxylase on central carbon flux
and on flux through the indole alkaloid pathway, using C. roseus as a model
system.  Work on this project will combine molecular/genetic techniques
with techniques for measuring and analyzing metabolic flux (e.g. NMR) in
living plant tissue.  The results of this project should provide very
useful information regarding how secondary metabolism is regulated.  In
addition, we will be testing the feasibility of using genetic engineering
to increase production of extremely valuable indole alkaloids, such as
vincristine and vinblastine, which are used in treatment of certain forms
of cancer.
	The main requirements for this position are prior experience with
plant and/or molecular biology, ability to work independently and to learn
new techniques.  The position offers the opportunity to work in a rapidly
expanding, and currently under-populated, field of biology.  The position
also offers an excellent opportunity to gain inter-disciplinary experience,
since the position is part of a larger collaboration between labs with
expertise in plant molecular biology/genetics and labs with extensive
experience in using techniques, such as NMR, to measure metabolic flux in
living tissue.
         Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, a letter stating their
research interests/experience and have three letters of reference sent to
the address shown below.
	Rice University is an equal opportunity employer.

Dr. Sue Gibson
Rice University
Dept. of Biochemistry and Cell Biology - MS140
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX   77005-1892
fax:  713-348-5154
e-mail:  sig at bioc.rice.edu