Col-0 vs. Ws

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 05:05:50 EST 2000

Dear all, a few days ago I posted a question about sources to find
polymorphisms between Col-0 and Ws ecotypes. The answers were quite
satisfactory. In order to post the answers quickly, I did not check every
reference given. However, all the researchers who responded have a high
reputation, and I have every reason to trust their infos.
Bad news: Nobody volunteered to make, or has made, recombinant inbred lines
Col-0 x Ws.

Published sources for polymorphisms Col-0 vs. Ws:

Bonnie Bartel, Rice Univ. Houston USA and Marie-Theres Hauser, Univ. f.
Bodenkultur, Vienna Austria pointed out that Bell and Ecker, Genomics 19,
137-144 (1994) have listed Ws and Col-0.

Marie-Theres Hauser has provided information about the classical CAPS
markers (Konieczny and Ausubel, Plant J 4, 403-410, 1993):
=20                        GAPB  Ler =3D Ws
=20                        BGL1 Ler =3D Ws
=20                        m246 Ler =3D Ws
=20                        THY  Ler =3D Ws
=20                        GPA1 Col =3D Ws
=20                        m429 Ler =3D Ws
=20                        PAI Col =3D Ws
=20                        NCC1 Ler =3D Ws
=20                        AG  Ler =3D Ws
=20                        LFY3 Ler =3D Ws
It is clear that all markers where Ws =3D Ler can be used; for primers, see
the publication.

Dr. Parvesh (parvesh at pacific.net.sg) has pointed the e-mail address
titima at ima.org.sg where information on Col-0 vs. Ws can be found.

In additon, yes, there is a lot of information concerning Col-0 vs. Ws in
the web. Dr. Sue Ree from TAIR gave the following fool-proof instructions:

1. Go to our marker search page:
http://arabidopsis.org/search/marker_search.html
2. Click on CAPS, SSLP under Genetic Marker type, and choose Col and Ws
under Polymorphic Between headings.
3. Hit the Search button.
4. Click on the name of the marker to get full information on the marker or
click on the mapview to see the marker on our interactive, graphic map
viewing tool.
We are currently working on getting the download functionality implemented
and once that is implemented, you should be able to download the entire
results in a text file. Right now, you can only download the data one at a
time.

Toni Schaeffner (IGF, Munich Germany) and Zerihun Tadele (FMI, Basel
Switzerland) pointed to the web site
http://www.arabidopsis.org/aboutcaps.html.

=46inally, many researchers working on specific regions have put information
on polymorphisms Col-0 vs. Ws in the web or would make them available upon
request.
E.g., Dr. Dangl has published polymorphism data around the gene LSD1:
http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Arabidopsis/lsd1_CAPS.html. Dr. Bartel has
diverse unpublished markers; Dr. Tadele has unpublished markers on
chromosome 3. Dr. Marie-Theres Hauser has infos on heteroduplex markers on
her web site http://www.boku.ac.at/zag/arabidopsis/at_index.htm.

That=B4s enough for me to get started, and hopefully so for most of you, as =
well.

Andreas Bachmair
Institute of Botany
University of Vienna