Obtaining constructs used in Arabidopsis sequencing

James Campanell campanellj at mail.montclair.edu
Mon Nov 27 11:08:41 EST 2000

Dear Arabinauts:

Here is a rather naive question that can probably be
answered very easily by those in the know. Unfortunately,
I have been unable to find any help so far.

My laboratory is trying to isolate a mutant gene on
Chromosome V of Arabidopsis. At this point we have
mapped the mutant gene to within 0.5 cM of a major marker.
Now, we need to perform transformation rescue experiments
with our mutant in order to narrow down the search to where
in those thousands of basepairs the gene of interest may be.
My question is a practical one. Where can a researcher obtain
the BAC clones overlapping in that area of 0.5 cM that we
are interested in? Are they available commercially? Are they
available through the Resource center? Will each YAC, BAC, or
cosmid have to be requested from an individual lab? Will I
need to perform PCR to generate the sequences myself? Thanks
in advance for the advice and help.

Sincerely,

Jim Campanella,
professor