Specific activity of GUS

Radhika Chalam radhikac at eden.rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 27 14:22:48 EST 2000

Hi Netters,

I would like to know the range of specific activity of GUS obtained in
35S CaMV- GUS fusion transgenic plants assayed using 4-MUG as the
substrate in the GUS fluorimetric assay.
I have two references that give the following values which exhibit a wide
range:

1. 1363 pmol 4-MU/min/ug protein

Jefferson RA, Bevan M, Kavanagh T (1987) Use of E.coli beta-
glucuronidase gene as a fusion marker for studies of gene expression in
higher plants. Biochem Soc. Trans. Feb 15 (1) -7

2. 0.283 pmol 4-MU/min/ug protein

Jefferson RA, Kavanagh T, Bevan (1987) Beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive
And verstile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J 6: 3901-7

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Radhika Chalam

Graduate Asst.
Biotech Center, Foran Hall