Post-doctoral postion. Circadian regulation in Arabidopsis

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 28 06:24:50 EST 2000

Postdoctoral Position in Plant
Molecular Genetics

to study the function of the LHY gene in
the regulation of the circadian clock in
Arabidopsis (Cell, 93, 1219-1229).
----------------------------------------------------------------------=20
----------------------------
Properties of the LATE ELONGATED HYPOCOTYL (LHY)
gene suggest that it plays a central role in the regulation of
circadian rhythmicity, and may function at multiple levels of
circadian regulation. LHY encodes a transcription factor of the MYB
family, which is expressed rhythmically in wild-type plants and
negatively regulates its own expression. Its properties are
consistent with roles as a component of circadian output pathways
(for the regulation of gene expression rhythms downstream of the
clock), as a component of the oscillator, and (or) in its regulation
by light.
The identification of the LHY gene has allowed us to begin
probing the mechanism of the circadian clock at the molecular
level. Since LHY functions close to the central timing mechanism,
we expect that the study of its regulation will reveal some of the
molecular events that constitute the basis of a circadian cycle, or
that mediate the phase-resetting of the oscillator in response to
light signals. This work proposes to investigate the regulation of
LHY activity by the circadian clock, by negative feedback, and in
response to light signals. We have already demonstrated that this
regulation is complex, and takes place at both transcriptional and
translational levels. We have developed luciferase reporter
constructs to analyse both types of regulations in transgenic
plants.

Aspects of the project may include:
-     A deletion analysis, to identify cis-acting regulatory sequences
within the LHY gene.
-   Testing the effects of alterations in LHY regulatory sequences
on the function of the circadian clock.
-   New mutant screens, to identify mutations that disrupt specific
aspects of LHY regulation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------=20
----------------------------
BBSRC-funded post, available for two years at a salary on the
RA1A scale.

Informal enquiries to Dr Isabelle Carr=E9 (tel: 024 7652 3544; email:
{ HYPERLINK mailto:icarre at bio.warwick.ac.uk) }icarre at bio.warwick.ac.uk).
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick,
Coventry CV4 7AL, England.
----------------------------------------------------------------------=20
----------------------
Dr Isabelle Carre