Positions in genomics of plant-pathogen interaction

Ramesh Raina rxr21 at psu.edu
Sat Apr 7 14:36:52 EST 2001

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><!doctype html
public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
  --></style><title>Positions in genomics of plant-pathogen
are available at Penn State University to investigate the mechanism
of defense activation in Arabidopsis against pathogens.&nbsp; This is
a collaborative project between the laboratories of Drs. Jack
Schultz, Ramesh Raina (Penn State University) and Jim Tumlinson
(USDA, Gainesville, Florida) and is funded for two years by a grant
from the Department of Defense.&nbsp; The project will investigate:
a) biosynthesis and release of volatile organic compounds by plants
regulating signaling involved in defense activation in
Arabidopsis.<br>
1. POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (VOLATILE PRODUCTION): The
research project is a cooperative effort between Department of
Entomology, PSU and the Insect Chemistry Research Unit, CMAVE, USDA,
ARS, Gainesville, FL. The work will be conducted at PSU. We would
like to fill this position as soon as possible after May 15, 2001.
The person selected for this position will work as a member of a team
of chemists, entomologists and plant biochemists to investigate the
multitrophic interactions among plants, pathogens, insect herbivores
and natural enemies of the herbivores. Knowledge and experience in
plant-pathogen interactions and chromatographic separations of
biologically active natural products is highly desirable. Experience
in designing and conducting bioassays to monitor isolations would
also be desirable.<br>
2. TWO POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATES (MOLECULAR BIOLOGY): These
positions are immediately available and are for investigating
signaling involved in regulating defense expression in
Arabidopsis.&nbsp; A combination of Suppression Subtractive
Hybridization (SSH) and microarray analysis will be used to identify
the genes involved in activation of defense and to understand the
mechanisms regulating the interactions between different defense
signaling pathways in Arabidopsis.&nbsp; We have recently completed
construction and analysis of several cDNA libraries that represent
Arabidopsis genes differentially expressed in response to pathogens
and chemical inducers of defense.&nbsp; Successful candidates will
join the group currently involved in using this approach to analyze
plant-pathogen interactions.&nbsp; A Ph.D. in molecular biology is
required.&nbsp; Successful candidates will have strong background in
Plant Molecular Biology, experience with RNA analysis, construction
and analysis of cDNA libraries.&nbsp; Experience with plant-pathogen
interaction and microarrays is a plus but not necessary.&nbsp;
Successful candidates should be able to work independently and as
team players.<br>
3. TWO SENIOR RESEARCH TECHNICIANS/RESEARCH TECHNICIANS (MOLECULAR
BIOLOGY): These positions are immediately available.&nbsp; A B.S. or
equivalent degree in Biology or related area is required.&nbsp; For
the Senior Research Technician position, previous experience in
molecular biology is required.&nbsp; Successful candidates will
assist the members of the group with molecular biology experiments
such as RNA isolations, PCR, northern hybridizations, microarray
construction etc.&nbsp; Organizational skills and the ability to work
collaboratively with various members of the groups is essential.<br>
Applications for these positions should include a letter stating
experience and interest along with a curriculum vitae and the names,
addresses, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three
references.&nbsp; Applications or further enquiries about the project
or these positions should be directed to:<br>
a) Postdoctoral Research associate (Volatile Production): Dr. J. H.
Tumlinson, CMAVE, ARS, USDA, P. O. Box 14565, Gainesville, FL 32604,
USA. Tel: 352-374-5730, FAX: 352-374-5707, Email:
jtumlinson at gainesville.usda.ufl.edu.<br>
b) Postdoctoral Research associates and Research technicians
(Molecular Biology): Dr. Ramesh Raina, 505 Wartik Laboratory, Penn
State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA.&nbsp; Telephone:
In addition, application or enquiries for any of these position can
also be directed to Dr. Jack Schultz, Department of Entomology, Penn
State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA. Tel: 814-863-4438,
FAX: 814-863-4439, email: ujq at psu.edu.</font></div>
Penn State University is an equal opportunity employer.</font></div>

*****************************************<span
Ramesh Raina<br>
Department of Biology&nbsp; <br>
505 Wartik
Laboratory&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
The Pennsylvania State University<br>
University Park, PA 16802&nbsp; USA<br>
Tel:&nbsp; 814-865-7127 (Office)<br>
Tel:&nbsp; 814-865-0924 (Lab)<br>