post-doctoral position

Sue Gibson sig at bioc.rice.edu
Fri Apr 27 17:24:19 EST 2001

POST-DOCTORAL POSITION IN PLANT MOLECULAR GENETICS
Rice University, Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology

         A post-doctoral position is available to study the effects of
soluble sugars on plant gene expression and development.  Several
sugar-response mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana have been isolated.  Unlike
wild-type plants, these sugar-insensitive (sis) mutants form expanded
cotyledons and true leaves on media containing high levels of glucose or
sucrose.  The position involves helping to characterize these mutants to
determine if the mutations also affect other sugar responses.  The genes
identified by these mutations will also be cloned and characterized.
         Applicants should have experience in molecular biology,
biochemistry and/or plant physiology.  Applicants should submit a
curriculum vitae, a letter stating their research interests/experience and
the names and addresses of three references to Dr. Sue Gibson.
	For further information regarding this project, please refer to the
following publications:

Laby, R.J., Kincaid, M.S., Kim, D., and Gibson, S.I. (2000). The
Arabidopsis sugar-insensitive mutants sis4 and sis5 are defective in
abscisic acid synthesis and response. Plant J. 23, 587-596.

Gibson, S.I. (2000). Plant sugar-response pathways. Part of a complex
regulatory web. Plant Physiol. 124, 1532-1539.

Gibson, S.I., Laby, R.J., and Kim, D. (2001). The sugar-insensitive1 (sis1)
mutant of Arabidopsis is allelic to ctr1. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
280, 196-203.

Dr. Sue Gibson
Rice University
Dept. of Biochemistry and Cell Biology - MS140
George Brown Hall
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX   77005-1892
e-mail:  sig at bioc.rice.edu