Positions open at Virginia Bioinformatics Institute

Pedro Mendes mendes at vt.edu
Fri Feb 9 17:57:37 EST 2001

Become part of a cutting edge research team...

Virginia Bioinformatics Institute

The Virginia Bioinformatics Institute (VBI) at Virginia Polytechnic
Institute and State University is assembling a large team of highly
motivated faculty and support personnel.

We are seeking individuals who work collaboratively to solve complex
biological problems, and who have demonstrated an ability to
successfully compete for major sources of research funding. We are
recruiting faculty for research track positions with very competitive
compensation packages. Some tenure track appointments may be offered
for exceptionally qualified candidates, in liaison with appropriate
academic departments of the university. We also are recruiting
graduate students and professional staff, including research
programmers, and laboratory directors and technicians.

Virginia Tech is a top 50 research university with strengths in
engineering, information technology, and biotechnology. Our proximity
to Washington, DC, and federal agencies is a major advantage, as is
our anticipated connection to the new high-speed internet. The
university has created an environment encouraging entrepreneurship,
with a liberal intellectual properties policy (50% royalties to
inventor) and with the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Park in close
proximity to campus.

Faculty
If you are a faculty candidate with a research focus in
bioinformatics, computational biology, genomics, functional genomics,
or proteomics, please send us your CV accompanied by a statement of
your research and career plans. We are seeking candidates from any
relevant background in the life sciences, physical sciences, computer
science, engineering, statistics or mathematics.

Post-Doctoral Research Associates
Independent, highly motivated post-doctoral candidates will be
selected to carry out research programs supervised by VBI faculty.
Please send a CV accompanied by a one- to two-page statement of your
research plan, and a brief statement of your training and resource
needs.

Research Programmers
We are seeking experienced programmers with a background in database
development, mathematical modeling, or scientific software
development, a background or interest in natural sciences, and the
desire to work in collaboration with scientists to solve complex
research problems. Please send a resume detailing relevant experience
and programming expertise.

Apply:

Dr. Bruno Sobral, Director
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute Screening Committee

1750 Kraft Drive, Suite 1100
Corporate Research Center
Blacksburg, VA 24061

Office: (540) 231-2100
Fax: (540) 231-1777

Email: bioinfo at vt.edu
http://www.vbi.vt.edu/

Electronic Documents in Adobe PDF or Microsoft RTF format are acceptable.

Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principal of diversity
and, in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including
women, minorities, and people with disabilities. Individuals with
disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process
should notify Celia Hardwick, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute,
(540) 231-2100 or call the Virginia Telecommunications Relay Service
at (800) 828-1120.