2010 Project - NPH3/RPT2 family

Mannie Liscum LiscumM at missouri.edu
Fri Jan 5 13:25:56 EST 2001

<x-flowed>*Apparently doing this from my sifes computer at home the other night
didn't work that well...here's another try*

Dear Arabiphiles,

Like many of us (I suspect), I have plans to submit a proposal to the
NSF Arabidopsis 2010 Project at the end of this month.  My
"functional genomics project" will be to determine the function of
additional members (30 in total) of the NPH3/RPT2 family (Motchoulski
and Liscum, 1999, Science 286, 961; Sakai et al, Plant Cell, 2000,
12, 225; unpublished).  In the "spirit"of the 2010 project, as
envisioned by its initial drafters, and certainly to be driven by NSF
policy - I would like to take this opportunity to ask the community
if there are others who are planning to propose the NPH3/RPT2 family
as a target for study? If so (given the closeness of the deadline)
would such parties please contact me (address below) ASAP so that we
can coordinate efforts on this "service" oriented project. While it
is even unclear if the panel will wish to fund small fish with
relatively modest (or small, depending upon from where you sit)
project goals, certainly a coordinated effort of multiple PIs wishing
to understand the function of the same set(s) of genes will be
essential in such cases.

On related good-faith service note, I will be generating a front-end
web page to access our data on the NPH3/RPT2 family (including that
already generated - expression data, insertion mutants, analyses of
predicted proteins, etc.) shortly - hopefully soon after the Jan. 31
NSF deadline - again in hopes that this data (funded or not by the
2010 project) will be useful to the community.&nbsp; As Chris
Somerville and Jeff Dangl expressed in their recent Science
commentary, much of the next ten years worth of Arabidopsis research
will be largely service in nature and we academics need to maintain
collegial and open exchanges of information so that our lofty goals
can be met, strike that EXCEEDED!

Again, if the NPH3/RPT2 family is your bag, please contact me.
--

Cheers,
Mannie

Mannie Liscum
Assistant Professor
Division of Biological Sciences
108C Tucker Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211

email: liscumm at missouri.edu
office:573-882-2672; 108C Tucker Hall
lab:573-882-2675 ;108 Tucker Hall
fax: 573-882-0123
web page: http://www.biosci.missouri.edu/liscum/LiscumLabPage.html
US Plant Photobiolgy 2001 Meeting web page:
http://www.biosci.missouri.edu/liscum/uspp01.html

"The ending is just the beginning. The closer you get to the meaning,
the sooner you'll find that you're dreaming"....RJD

The Univeristy of Missouri-Columbia does not accept responsibility
for the contents of this email, nor does it reflect the official
position of the University.

---

</x-flowed>