position

Tony Schaeffner schaeffner at gsf.de
Thu Jul 5 12:11:11 EST 2001

At the the GSF Research Center for Environment and Health, Munich,
Germany we offer a position for a graduate student.

As part of a nation-wide program financed by the Deutsche
Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) on the "Dynamics and Regulation of Plant
Membrane Transport" we are interested in mutual interactions of
aquaporin-mediated water permeability and active transport in
Arabidopsis thaliana. Aquaporins are integral membrane proteins that
passively enhance or regulate the water permeability of cellular
membranes.
We will use different techniques and approaches to study the function of
these "water channel proteins": analyses of insertional knock-out mutants,
whole-plant transport studies, transcript and protein localization.

At our institute a DNA microarray harboring specific probes (based on
already available specific clones) for various membrane protein gene
families investigated within the DFG-consortium will be established and
coordinated. It will be used to study transcriptional co-regulation of
transporters and channels.

The GSF Reseach Center offers excellent technical infrastructure and
expertise for these approaches. In addition to scientific enthusiasm you
should like to work within a team and you should have a masters degree in
biology, biochemistry or a
related subject. Experience in molecular biology as well as knowledge in
plant physiology is desirable and helpful for the project.

Please ask for further information or send your application with a short
resume of your previous studies via email to:
Dr. Tony Schaeffner at schaeffner at gsf.de

Dr. Tony Schaeffner
Institute of Biochemical Plant Pathology
GSF Research Center, Blg. 22
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
D-85764 Neuherberg/ Muenchen
Germany
phone  +49 89 3187 -2930, -2373 or -2521
fax    +49 89 3187 -2726
email  schaeffner at gsf.de