Ploidy level and Pollen Morphology

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 08:54:09 EST 2001

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

Sanjay Kapoor wrote:

>  Dear Everyone
>
>  I would like to know if there is any systematic study that shows correlat=
ion
>  between the ploidy level in a particular species and its pollen morpholog=
y.
>  In case any one of you  is working on this aspect I would like to
>  communicate with you.
>
>  I would gratefully appreciate your help in this matter

I do not work in this area, but do cover the material in my cytogenics class=
=2E
There may not be systematic studies as such, but there is plenty of informat=
ion
that shows that there can be definite changes:  a) volume; b) number of
germination pores, and c) overall shape:

The biggest difference is in size.  N=3D2x pollen (produced by a tetraploid)=
 will
have twice the volume of n=3Dx pollen produced by a diploid.  When the
n=3D2x pollen
is hydrated, its diameter should be 1.26x that of n=3Dx pollen.  This
number comes
from the change observed in diameter when the volume of a sphere is doubled.
See:

Anderson, L.B. 1973.  Relative performance of  late-flowering tetraploid red
clover 'Grasslands 4706', five diploid red clovers, and white clover. N.Z.J.
Expt. Agric. 1:233-237.

Bragdo, M.  1955.  Production of polyploids by colchicine.  Euphytica 4:76-8=
2.

Evans, A.M. 1955.  The production and identification of polyploids in red
clover, white clover, and lucerne.  New Phytol.  54:149-163.

  Stelly,D.M. and S.J.Peloquin. 1985. Screening for 2n female gametophytes,
female fertility, and 2x X 4x crossability in potatoes (Solanum spp.). Am.
Potato J. 62:519-529.

***************
In some crops, eg, red clover, n=3D2x pollen has 4-6 germination pores,=
 while 2=3Dx
pollen always has 3. See

Dijkstra,J. and G.J.Speckmann. 1965. Germinal pore number in pollen grains=
 as a
selection basis in the production of tetraploid clover. Euphytica 14:244-248=
=2E

Halasz, E. 1974.  Identification of C0 plants based on the number of
"germination pores" of the pollen of red clover.  Novenytermeles 23:295-298.

Laczynska-Hulewicz, T. and T. Mackiewicz. 1963. Poleen Fertilitat und
Pollenschlauchwachstum bei Di- und Tetraploidem Rotklee.  Zuchter 33:11-17.

Najcevska, C.M.  and G.J. Speckmann. 1968.  Numbers of chloroplasts and poll=
en
grain pores in diploid and tetraploid varieities of some Trifolium species.
Euphytica  17: 257-362.

N=B8esch, B. 1972.  Investigations on tetraploid Swiss Mattenklee (Trifolium
pratense).  C.  Morphological and physiological characters.  Schweizer. Land=
w.
13:59-75.

**************
=46inally, n=3D2x pollen from carrot, red clover and pea is tetrahedronal in=
 shape,
very distinct from n=3Dx pollen.  See:

Bragdo, M.  1955.  Production of polyploids by colchicine.  Euphytica 4:76-8=
2.

Eskilsson, L.  1963.  A method for estimating pollen quality in autoploid
plants.  Hereditas  49:185-189.

Joshi and Raghavanshi, 1965.

Myers,J.R., E.T.Gritton, and B.Y.Struckmeyer. 1984. Production of 2n pollen =
and
further characterization of the calyx carpellaris (cc) trait in pea. Crop Sc=
i.
24:1063-1069.

R=CCman,L. and J.Pol=B7k. 1968. Polyploids with perennial forage crops.
Identification according to pollen. Pol'nohaspodarstvo 14:836-851.
Odinzova 1970

Taylor, N.L., M.K. Anderson, K.H. Quesenberry, and L. Watson.  1976.  Doubli=
ng
the chromosome number of Trifolium species using nitrous oxide. Crop Science=
=2E
16:516-518.

>  sincerely
>
>  Sanjay
>
>  **************************************
>  Sanjay Kapoor, Ph.D.
>  Laboratory of Developmental Biology
>  Department of Plant Physiology
>  Institute of Plant Science
>  National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences (NIAS)
>  2-1-2, Kannondai, Tsukuba, JAPAN
>
>  E-mail kapoors at affrc.go.jp
>
>  ---

---