Fast neutron irradiation and cloning

Mannie Liscum LiscumM at missouri.edu
Thu Jun 21 08:36:18 EST 2001

<x-flowed>Rachel

With regard to your second question: Yes.  subtractive cloning has
been used (I believe twice at least) by Sun and colleagues [e.g., Sun
et al., 1992, Plant Cell 4: 119].  We have also used large
deletion/rearrangments caused by FNs to identify DNA polymorphisms in
the final steps of two chromosome walks (Huala et al., 1997, Science
278: 2120; Harper et al., Plant Cell 12: 757).

With regard to your first question, I'm sure one of the group working
on developing reverse genetic PCR screening with FN lots might have a
good answer.  There really aren't enough cloned  and defined FN
mutations in the published lit to likely make a good call on this.
Data from flies and worms is a good starting place for estimates
though.
--

Cheers,
Mannie

Mannie Liscum
Associate Professor
Division of Biological Sciences
108C Tucker Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211

email: liscumm at missouri.edu
office:573-882-2672; 108C Tucker Hall
lab:573-882-2675 ;108 Tucker Hall
fax: 573-882-0123
web page: http://www.biosci.missouri.edu/liscum/LiscumLabPage.html

"The ending is just the beginning. The closer you get to the meaning,
the sooner you'll find that you're dreaming"....RJD

</x-flowed>