Fungal contamination of Arabidopsis seeds

Andrew J. Cary andrew.cary at yale.edu
Thu Jun 21 11:14:18 EST 2001

Hi,
    In my former lab we had lots of trouble with fungus/mildew on the
plants.  With heavy fungal growth on the adult plants we could never get
it completely off/out of the seeds.  We found that by reducing our growth
chamber humidity (I think we kept it at least below 55%) eliminated the
fungal growth and then the seeds sterilized fine.  If humidity is not the
answer then I would still recomend changing the growth conditions of your
plants, even fungicides if required, to prevent the problem there.  Its
better to start with clean seeds than try to clean highly contaminated
seeds.

Good Luck,
Andy