Full Genome Affymetric Chips

Chris Somerville crs at Andrew2.Stanford.EDU
Thu Mar 1 20:40:47 EST 2001

I think it would be very useful to have an inexpensive full genome
Affymetrix expression chip for
Arabidopsis that could be used to measure the expression of all genes
in one hybridization.  In
converstaion with colleagues at Affymetrix I have learned that it
would be feasible for Affymetrix to
produce such a chip but they are concerned about whether a market
exists for such a chip.  Therefore,
it would be very useful if you could let me know how many such chips
you would use during the next
three years if each chip cost $400.  (The number is just something I
made up based on the cost of the
current 8200 element Affy chip - the actual cost may be a bit lower
or higher depending on the volume
of use).  If your number is zero that would be useful for me to know
for statistical purposes.

Although most research universities now have Affymetrix stations for
processing chips, I believe that
several groups will also offer to process chips for the community for
a minimal fee.
Thanks for your input,
Chris Somerville
Chris Somerville