foreign DNA

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Thu Mar 15 10:56:30 EST 2001

<x-flowed>In trees it's very well established that fungi (endophytes)
are common
within as well as upon leaf tissue, and algae, bacteria and mycoplasma can
also be described as not uncommon.  I'm wondering if anyone has any
thoughts on how you can exclude the contributions of those
'foreign'  organisms when doing ESTs (or DNA analyses in general) using
photosynthetic tissues?   My research has indicated that the cambium (but
not the wood nor the phloem) when carefully handled is free from microbial
contaminants, and so I am inclined to use that tissue rather than green
tissue in our investigations.  However, so many reports are based on
analysis of leaves that I'm thinking others must have already given this
'foregin DNA' concern serious consideration and found a way around it.  I'd
appreciate any comments.

Rod Savidge

---

</x-flowed>