Arabidopsis oligonucleotide arrays

Ellen Wisman wismanp at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Mar 15 15:44:35 EST 2001

The Arabidopsis functional genomics consortium (AFGC:
http://afgc.stanford.edu) is applying for a renewal to develop a full genome
~70-mer oligonucleotide array that could be used to measure gene expression
of almost all the genes of Arabidopsis.  Such oligonucleotide-based arrays
will provide higher gene specificity than the current PCR generated arrays
and thus greatly minimize cross hybridization between gene family members.
We anticipate that the data generated by the community using a standard
~25,500 gene array will prove to be an important comparative resource for
expression studies.  Our goal would be to print up to 10,000 full genome
arrays over then next 3-5 years and distribute these to the community for
approximately $100/slide to use at their home institution. These arrays can
be read with all standard cDNA microarray readers and do not require
purchase of a specialized  workstation.  In addition to providing arrays
directly to the community, the current, full service microarray facility
would be continued at MSU with the new arrays for those who need or prefer
to use the facility for their experiments.  We believe this higher array
volume and lower cost will encourage wide use, and multiple biological
replications and therefore more reliable data will emerge.  It would help us
tremendously to know what the demand of the community for such microarrays
would be. Please let us know how many slides you might purchase and utilize
over the next 3-5 years in your research.  Please also note we do not
envision these arrays as a replacement for the Affymetrix arrays as both
have advantages and would find use in the community.

Ellen Wisman, Dean DellaPenna, John Ohlrogge

Ellen Wisman
Research Assistant Professor
MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory
Michigan State University