how to get rid of rubisco

Ralf Weigel rweigel at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 21 11:41:45 EST 2001

Dear fellows,

at first I want to thank all those who made comments and suggestions to
my inquiry. Many people are in a similar situation with rubisco. Here is
a short summary of the suggestions I received, maby one or the other
will be helpful:

removal of rubisco by:

1)  a PEI-agarose column
2) a short heat treatment of the extract (60 degrees for 2 minutes,
Ravanel et al., 1995
     Arch Biochem Biophys 316:572)
3) 50% more electrophoresis time than needed to run the BPB to the
bottom of the gel
4) extract from dark grown seedlings.  Alternatively, place light grown
plants into the dark for a day or
         two.
5) native-page gel

Thanks again and good luck

     Ralf

--

Ralf R. Weigel

Albrecht von Haller Institute of Plant Sciences
General and Developmental Plant Physiology
Untere Karspuele 2
37073 Goettingen
Germany

Tel.:  0551/3919664