[Fwd: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand]

Wendy Allan wallan at uoguelph.ca
Thu May 3 09:06:39 EST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 12:57:34 -0400
From: Thomas Leustek <leustek at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: wallan at uoguelph.ca (Wendy Allan)

A better way to grow Arabidopsis for roots is hydroponically. However,
if
your committed to sand culture you need far bigger containers than you
are
using. I would use cell packs which will allow free drainage of the
nutrient solution and place only 1 plant per cell. Contrary to what one
would expect from such a small plant, Arabidopsis produces a huge root
system. I think your poor growth is due to overcrowding. Also, if you
want
large plants you must use short day photoperiod.

At 08:10 PM 5/1/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello:
>
>      I am trying to grow Arabidopsis cv columbia in sand. I want to be
>able to quickly and easily harvest  the roots for analysis. Anyways, the
>plants are germinated and grown in deep-dish petri plates filled with
>moist sand under short-day conditions in a growth chamber. I fertilize
>the plants frequently (ie approx. every other day) with Hoaglund's
>solution. The petri plates are covered.  I am having trouble with algae
>growth. Also, I want the rosettes to grow large. So far, after 2 to 3
>weeks, the rosettes become completely chlorotic. I am also growing about
>10-12 plants per plate.
>
>     Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep my plants
>healthy and thriving under this system? As well, for large rosettes, how
>long can I keep the plants growing?
>
>Wendy Allan,
>
>---

Thomas Leustek
Associate Professor
Rutgers University
Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment
59 Dudley Road
New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901-8520
Telephone: (732)932-8165, extension 326
Fax: (732)932-0312