[Fwd: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand]

Wendy Allan wallan at uoguelph.ca
Thu May 3 09:07:13 EST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:44:15 -0600
From: "Cory A. Christensen" <christensen at biology.utah.edu>
To: wallan at uoguelph.ca (Wendy Allan)

If it is not necessary for your plants to be grown in sand, you could
try growing them in magenta boxes in MS salts, sucrose, and agar.  I
have done this by transplanting seedlings from petri dishes to
magenta boxes.  The root system grows large and stays on the surface
of the growth medium making it easy to extract from the agar.  If
this sounds like something you could use, I can give you a little
more detail.

Cory

>Hello:
>
>      I am trying to grow Arabidopsis cv columbia in sand. I want to be
>able to quickly and easily harvest  the roots for analysis. Anyways, the
>plants are germinated and grown in deep-dish petri plates filled with
>moist sand under short-day conditions in a growth chamber. I fertilize
>the plants frequently (ie approx. every other day) with Hoaglund's
>solution. The petri plates are covered.  I am having trouble with algae
>growth. Also, I want the rosettes to grow large. So far, after 2 to 3
>weeks, the rosettes become completely chlorotic. I am also growing about
>10-12 plants per plate.
>
>     Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep my plants
>healthy and thriving under this system? As well, for large rosettes, how
>long can I keep the plants growing?
>
>Wendy Allan,
>
>---

CORY A. CHRISTENSEN