Molecular Geneticist position

Carl Johnson carl.h.johnson at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Oct 5 13:02:00 EST 2001

Dear Fellow Plant Biologists,

   	Please note the following ad that will soon appear in Science. The
   position is open to people working on any system--including plants--but
   it is very important to find a candidate whose research area will
   complement and/or synergize with other molecular geneticists in our
   department. In our department, there are two cell/molecular biologists
   working on plants: Gerald Stubbs (X-ray crystallography of tobacco
   mosaic virus and other plant viruses) and me (circadian rhythms and
   calcium fluxes in plants). It will be important for candidates to show
   research synergy beyond interacting with me and Dr. Stubbs, especially
   in the areas listed in the ad: replication, recombination, repair,
   targeting, and cytoskeleton.

   	Interested candidates need to be aware that the cell/molecular plant
   group at Vanderbilt is small, although there are a significant number
   of population biologists here that work on plants (and a new hire in
   this area will join the faculty next year). Nevertheless, there are
   many opportunities to interact within our department and with the
   immediately adjacent Medical School. Therefore, candidates who prefer
   to find a position at a university where their primary interactions
   will be with non-plant scientists and who would like to be at a
   university where the undergraduates are excellent are particularly
   encouraged to apply.

   	Please see our website (http://www.biosci.vanderbilt.edu) for current
   information about the department, especially of other faculty research
   interests
   (http://www.molbio.vanderbilt.edu/mbdept/faculty/allfaculty.html). A
   new Biological Sciences building is under construction and will be
   completed in spring of 2002. The candidate who is hired for this
   position will have a completely new lab in the new building. The new
   building includes an excellent state-of-the-art rooftop greenhouse
   (some of the rooms are air conditioned so that Arabidopsis will be
   happy).

   	Best wishes,

   	Carl Johnson

   Molecular Genetics Faculty Position

   The Department of Biological Sciences at Vanderbilt University seeks
   candidates to fill a rank-open, tenure-track or tenured faculty
   position in molecular genetics.  We are especially
   interested in candidates studying replication, recombination, repair,
   protein or RNA targeting, cytoskeleton, or intracellular organization.
   The central criteria for this position are excellence in research and
   the ability to teach undergraduate and graduate students with a high
   level of effectiveness.  For information about the Department, visit
   our Web site: http://www.biosci.vanderbilt.edu.  Women and minority
   candidates are especially encouraged to apply.  Applicants should send
   a letter of application together with a curriculum
   vitae, a statement of current and future research interests,
   and selected reprints to Molecular Genetics Search Committee,
   Department of Biological Sciences,  Vanderbilt University, VU Station B
   351634, Nashville, TN 37235-1634 U.S.A.  Junior faculty
   applicants should also arrange for three letters of  recommendation to
   be sent to the same address.  Senior faculty applicants should provide
   a list of at least six references who would be willing to provide
   letters on request.  Review of applications will begin October 29 and
   will continue until the position has been filled.  Vanderbilt
   University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
   employer.