Tools and index libraries for Arabidopsis Affymetrix chip users

"Majid Ghassemian PhD majidg at biomail.ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 10 18:59:47 EST 2001

Tools and index libraries for Arabidopsis Affymetrix chip users

  Dear Colleagues,

             We have updated the Arabidopsis index file, provided by
Affymetrix for the Arabidopsis chip, which will facilitate automated
analyses of Genechip expression profiles. The Arabidopsis annotations
file provided by Affymetrix only contains the Genbank identifiers and
it can be time consuming to search for each gene individually in
Genbank and to manually extract the promoter sequence from the BAC
sequence entry.  We have updated this index file with the position of
each element with reference to Arabidopsis chromosomes, and AGI
identifiers for most elements. We have created files containing DNA
sequences and protein sequences corresponding to most elements on the
Affymetrix chip. These files will allow more rapid and automated
analyses of Affymetrix GeneChipTM data using software packages (e.g.
GeneSpring or others). To download these files and access the links
please go to:

www-biology.ucsd.edu/labs/schroeder/genechip.html

Furthermore, the chromosome location function for each gene on the
Affymetrix chip that we included can, among other uses, be helpful in
mapping gene deletion mutations.

             We have also developed web-based tools to extract
upstream promoter sequences using Affymetrix gene ID's and/or AGI
identifiers. The recovered sequences are available at the same web
site (www-biology.ucsd.edu/labs/schroeder/genechip.html) and can
either be directly sent to a  "MEME" web site (a web based promoter
analysis tool) for regulatory element searches or copied for export
into other regulatory motif search and analysis tools. These tools
will allow facilitated extraction of new promoter elements from Gene
chip experiments.

  Majid Ghassemian, David Waner, Jason Tchieu, Michael Gribskov,
Julian I. Schroeder