pending Arabidopsis meeting travel funds

Eric Richards richards at biology2.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:40:42 EST 2002

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Dear Arabidopsis researchers,

The North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee (NAASC) has applied for a
grant from the National Science Foundation to aid junior researchers from
U.S. labs to attend the Thirteenth International Conference on Arabidopsis
Research (Arabidopsis XIII) to be held in Seville, Spain from June 28th to
July 2nd, 2002.  We stress that at present we do not know if the proposal
will be funded, but we wanted to inform the community that such funds may
become available.  Because the registration deadline for the Conference is
April 15th, we have decided to put out a call for applications for the
travel funds in case an award is made.

If an award is made, the NAASC plans to provide at least thirty awards to
help defray the costs of travel to the meeting. Note that receiving one of
these awards cannot be a prerequisite of applying to and participating in
Arabidopsis XIII.  Since these awards by themselves will be insufficient to
pay for the entire meeting, other funds must be available to the applicants
to either defray these additional costs, or to pay for the entire meeting if
no award is received.  Any awards will be announced well before the meeting,
but will be paid as reimbursements to awardees following return from the
meeting.

Eligibility:  Awardees must be full-time researchers in laboratories in the
United States (citizenship/permanent residency is not required, but you must
be a legal resident or legal visitor to the US).  Only graduate students,
postdoctoral researchers and junior PIs (in the first 2 years of an academic
appointment) will be considered for funding.  To apply for funding you MUST
have submitted an abstract to the meeting.

Application Process:  DEADLINE May 24, 2002

A.	Register for the Conference, including submission of an abstract for
a poster presentation at: <http://www.arabidopsis2002.com>

A.	Submit the following information via E-mail to
richards at biology.wustl.edu.  The information should be in a single file
attached to an E-mail message.  The file must be in MSWord or PDF format.
Include the information in the body of the E-mail message, in case there is
a problem with your attachment.

1.	Name, position, affiliation, address, e-mail, phone, FAX

2.	Title and abstract of proposed presentation at the meeting

3.	Citations of up to three recent publications

4.	Declaration that the applicant has a source of additional funds to
attend Arabidopsis XIII.

5.	Statement of 200 words or less providing other information on why
the applicant should be selected for an award.

6.	To encourage diversity in meeting attendance, membership in an
ethnic group underrepresented in the biological sciences will also be
considered.  At the applicant's discretion, statement of membership in such
a group may be included in the application.

7.	For reporting purposes only, we also request that you state your
gender in the application.

A.	If you are not a PI, have your PI send a brief letter supporting
your attendance at the meeting, and confirming any additional financial
support you list in B3 above that she/he may be responsible for, to
richards at biology.wustl.edu.

Please direct any questions to Eric Richards at richards at biology.wustl.edu

Sincerely,
The NAASC:

Bonnie Bartel (Rice University)
Kathryn Barton (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Greg Copenhaver (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill)
Mary Lou Guerinot (Dartmouth)
Peter McCourt (University of Toronto)
Eric Richards (Washington University)
Mike Sussman (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Brenda Winkel-Shirley (Virginia Tech)

---

</x-charset>