Safe sensitive alternates to EtBr sought for DNA detection

Phil Irwin pirwin at iastate.edu
Tue Aug 6 13:47:14 EST 2002

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hello all,

Our lab is interested in discontinuing the use of EtBr for detection of DNA
in Agarose gels.  I know there are many alternatives available, and as you
know each vendor claims theirs is the best.  Instead of sampling all of them
to find out which one really is the best, I would like to hear from you,
because you know how the products work in practice.  I'm interested in the
following:

Health risk's
Sensitivity
Heat stability
Shelf life
Usability (pain in the butt factors)
Disposal
Cost

If there are any additional concerns/information that I haven't thought of,
please feel free to let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help with this,

Phil

-------------------------------
Phillip A. Irwin
Research Associate (Voytas Lab)